Catalog #: RP-104
Product Name: pRB (Retinoblastoma protein)
Product Type: Recombinant protein, His tagged.
Gene Name: RB-1
Source: Baculovirus-insect cell.
Purification Methods: FPLC
Purity: >95% by SDS-PAGE analysis.
RB, the product of retinoblastoma susceptibility gene RB-1, is one of the best-studied tumor suppressor gene products. At least two other pRB-related proteins, p107 and p130, have been identified and characterized. Mutations in RB-1 gene are often associated with the occurrence of various tumors (1-3). The activity of pRB is regulated through phosphorylation in a cell cycle-dependent manner. The hyperphosphorylated RB protein usually associates with the cell nucleus and binds transcription factors of the E2F family (4, 5). pRB represses transcription of its target genes, such as cdc2, cyclin A, and oncogene c-Myc, c-Fos through the binding with E2F factors and thereby regulating cell proliferation (6).
1) in vitro function studies including transcription and DNA binding assays
2) protein-protein interaction assay
3) cell growth and proliferation assays.
Unit definition: 1 unit equals 1 nanogram of purified protein. 1 unit is sufficient for a gel mobility shift assay in a 20 µl reaction; 50 units are sufficient for reconstituted transcription assay and 100 units are sufficient for a protein-protein interaction assay.
1x Dilution buffer: 20mM Tris-HCl pH7.9,100mM NaCl, 0.2mM EDTA, 1mM DTT and 20% glycerol.
1. Friend, SH. et al., (1986) Nature 323, 643-646
2. Lee, WH. et al., (1987) Science 235, 1394-1399
3. Onadim, Z. et al., (1992) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 6177-6181
4. Chen, PL. et al., (1989) Cell 58, 1193-1198
5. Ludlow, JW. et al., (1989) Cell 56, 57-65
6. Hinds, PW. et al., (1992) Cell 70, 993-1006